Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Video Footage of Hyde 1947


Much Ado is George Wain's award winning amateur film, shot around the Gee Cross area of Hyde, about 1947. It includes Dowson Road, the Peak Forest Canal and a steam train on the Godley Junction to Apethorn railway line.



My other ABC Wednesday V posts this week are ~~ Village Fete at Hyde Daily Photo ~~ Vroom Vroom at Ackworth born, gone West ~~ Vintage Cars at Sithenah

To visit more ABC-Wednesday V posts go to Mrs. Nesbitt's Place.

7 comments:

  1. He fooled them didnt he after his big adventure.
    That reminds me of my childhood in the fities when you could roam wild and free without any parents worrying about you. I seem to remember from the youngest age, we could play out on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just watched that video on Old Hyde... I loved it.. the railway line you show is the one that I lived next to when I grew up on Cheetham Fold estate. The level crossing I used often it led to Alan Booths Farm.. I spent time just about where the young boy stopped, The film could have been done 20 years later in the 60s and would have been a true portrayal of my younger days. I would wonder off like that all the time. I remember the police taking me home in the 1960s from the canal bridge at the side of Gee Cross mill which was shown.. It was at the time that Children were going missing but before the Moors Murderers were caught.. I don't think many kids wandered after that came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting that comment Gerald.. must have been a glitch.. as it works now.
    I would put copper pennies on that level crossing and let the big old steam trains ride over them. Once they'd squashed them flat I would take them home for an ashtray for my mum or dad.. I can also remember local men when times were hard knocking coal from the wagons to keep fires aburning in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see that old bit of film. Don't know if modern day videos etc will look so exciting in 50 years time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this post, makes me so homesick for hyde, altho i know its changed a lot

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails