Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Wednesday 23 January 2008

Godley Hall at Godley Hill


This picture by Frank Bennett and reproduced here with his permission, first appeared on the Images of England site.

This picture was taken in August 1999. A grade II listed house which is now a public house. "ICE 1718" on door lintel. Squared rubble with graduated stone slate roof and brick stacks. 3-bay 2-storey plan, the original door position, (now on the rear) suggests a baffle-entry. A 2-storey stair wing at the rear (now the front) is used as a porch and C20 additions have been added to each end. 3 window openings on each floor totalling three 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows (2 with hoodmoulds and all with mullions removed) 2 plain casement openings and a round-headed light. The porch has 2 similar round-headed lights, projecting plinth, an off-centre door, and a coped gable with kneelers and a ball finial. 2 ridge stacks and a later door to the right. The blocked door to the rear has a moulded surround and finely carved dated lintel. 3-light double-chamfered window and a single storey wing of a slightly later date. Interior much altered.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a student and used to bump up my grant by working at Walls making pies in the holidays, we used to go there on a Friday lunch time, I bet the 'elf and safety' don't allow that these days - operating machinery after drinking alcohol!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the very few pubs I've not had a drink in, ha! or been barred from in my wayward days... I'm sure I might have something about this place Gerald.. I'll see if I can dig it out in the moning.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails