Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Dr. Beecroft's Surgery, c.1910


This photograph of a house on Church Street, c.1910 was sent to me by Yvonne Michelle from Arizona.

She is the great-great-grandaughter of Dr. Samuel Beecroft and Sarah Bloor and the great-granddaughter of Arthur Beecroft and Edith Mary Clegg. The Beecrofts were doctors and the house doubled as their surgery.

When Arthur Beecroft died at sea, while working as a ship's doctor, his wife Edith Clegg Beecroft sold the home and moved to Australia. She sent Yvonne's grandfather (11 years old at the time) to live with relatives in Texas, so he'd have better opportunities in America. Yvonne thinks her grandfather's nanny bought the house and was living there when her parents visited in 1974.

A photo taken by her mother in 1974 can be seen on Yvonne's blog C'est la vie. Update That link is now dead.

For a 2009 photograph and more on the subsequent history of the house, see Hyde Daily Photo.

4 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed this posting... it as lead me back to HDP and to the lady's blog you linked to... while viewing this I was thinking about St Georges church and the old school building that was across from this building. This evening I got a call from my cousin. who by chance was looking for something on the internet... ended up reading about St Georges church... came across your blog.. saw my comment and thought he'd give me a ring... I had not heard from him for ages.. so thank you Gerald... your posts are far reaching and bring folks together.. :O)

    Tom
    My blogs today show a Gypsy Waggon and a Weather Vane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading Tom's comments in response to your posts. Compliment each other. One house, so much history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like to see the history of a house remembered. After all, most buildings survive many families, and each one has a story to tell. My house here in Canada was built in c1896.... very old for this "new" country, and I have spent a little time researching it's previous owners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was Dr Brindle's surgery when I was born in 1937 when he was our family doctor. I went to St. George's school, which was just across the street, and I remember thinking how lucky Simon was that he didn't have to leave home until five to nine, whereas I had a tram ride from Gee Cross. Does anyone have any stories of teachers at St. Georges? I have some not so fond memories of some of them (1942-49)!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails