Old Hyde

Old Hyde
Pole Bank 1910 ----------------------------------------------------------Town Hall 1937 --------------------------------------------- Cenotaph 1990

Saturday 14 November 2009

Dowson Road 1982


Taken from the end of Queen Street, Janet Howie's photograph from 1982 shows the junction of Market Street and Dowson Road.

Compare it with my photograph of 2009 on Hyde Daily Photo.

Kelly's fishing tackle shop has gone along with the three adjacent shops. The first recognisable building is Robinson's funeral directors. The whole junction has been widened up with a left hand filter and pedestrian crossings.

5 comments:

  1. love the hominess and bright sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this fascinating website, Gerald. James Ashton (1809-66)was my GG Grandfather and was the eldest surviving son of Samuel Oldham Ashton, owner of the Apethorne Mill.

    Samuel built Pole Bank, which I am certain you know, and before that lived at Gerrards. I have managed to find Pole Bank, now a nursing home, but does Gerrard's still exist?
    With regards,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Richard - I understand Gerrard's has been converted into two seperate private residences - don't know much as I've only lived here 20 years and only really started getting to know the place in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The memories come flooding back.

    I remember going into that fishing shop for bait when I was a school kid.

    Thanks Gerald, more please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I remember correctly ,the corner shop was Alan Dishman,s Chemists in the
    1950,s

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about having to keep captchas on my blogs but I took them off and got inundated with spam - I appreciate your efforts to comment despite the hurdle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails