(Click on photos to view full size)
These photographs were taken over two years ago by Tom Wigley close to Captain Clarke's Bridge and near the site of the former St George's Sunday School Rowing Club.
Nothing now remains of a War Memorial that was erected to commemorate rowing club members who were killed in the First World War.
This memorial stone shown was added to commemorate the three club members who died in the Second World War. It is understood that the original memorial was destroyed by vandalism and the Second World War memorial was fished out of the canal at some point and set into the ground along with the one commemorating that the ground had been given by the parents of Harry Warburton.
THIS LAND WAS GIVEN
MR AND MRS N WARBURTON
AS A MEMORIAL TO THEIR SON
HARRY HURST WARBURTON
KILLED IN ITALY
FEBRUARY 23RD 1946
WHILST ON ACTIVE SERVICE
ALSO TO THOSE WHO FELL
IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR
FLIGHT SGT R.H.NASH
FLYING OFFICER F.PLANT
More information about the men involved can be found on the Hyde Cheshire blog.
Tom Wigley's photograph of Captain Clarke's Bridge taken at the same time can be found on Hyde Daily Photo.